Friday 27 May 2011

windy cold thrusday

Well yesterday was a bit too windy and cold to look at bees. Before going to Lydney I did a little beekeeping at home and it was not fun,  at one point all the bees which were bussing around me suddenly disappeared and it was not of their choosing, a BIG gust of wind blew them away.  First time I have ever noticed that.

Anyway at the apiary we did some feeding and then it was time for my maiden lecture/talk.  As it was the first time that year we had not be able too look at the bees. The talk was on Apiary hygiene and it seemed to be well received for something that really is a dry subject. Covering the use of Washing soda, Acetic Acid, Wintering of Supers (for wax moth). Washing and sterilizing of bee keeping equipment.

Also I conducted a couple of tours of the shed and showed people where all the equipment is kept and how it should be left at the end of each session. 

Finally I had a couple of the younger members draw me up an apiary plan so that now we know where each hive in the apiary is without having to wonder around looking at the numbers on the hive. This is now stuck to the door on the shed.

Lets hope we can get on the bees next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment